Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Dressmaking

I spent my secondary school years at Up Holland Grammar school, where I discovered dressmaking.  We used singer hand machines and occasionally a treddle machine.  The first item I made was an apron for domestic science.  

I loved sewing and couldn't wait to buy my first machine.  I earned about £5 per week delivering newspapers for the local shop and my mum agreed to purchase a sewing machine for me on 'tic' from a nearbye electrical retailers. It cost me £2.50 per week for almost a year, but it was worth every penny. The machine was a Jones model which did basic straight and zig-zag stitch. I spent hour after hour sewing lines until they were perfectly straight; zig-zagging edges; and making buttonholes.  At the same time I saved all my other money every week until I had enough to buy fabrics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment