Wednesday, 12 January 2011

More about early influences ...

I was lucky I think to be surrounded by creative people: firstly my Ganga, then my mum, dad, nan, Auntie Joan and then my primary school!   Lamberhead Green was a hotbed of creativity.  I learned how to make mosaics by placing tiles on a glass bottle ; adding wire, bulb holder etc to make a lamp - what a wonderful experience - and the lamp really worked!  I think I was about 9 or 10 years old. Later,  I remember being taught how to knit.  My first project was a small teddy bear in chocolate brown wool.  I laugh now to think how amazed I was to knit the row that joined together the two legs I had already prepared!!!!  I loved my bear.
In my home town of Wigan in Lancashire there used to be a 'Summer Fair' every year in the local park.  It was organised by the local authority and each school in the area could enter pupils' work into different categories. Pupils and families would then go to view the displays and prizes would be duly awarded.  I still have the collage clown picture I made at about aged 10 years with the entry label firmly attached.  Sadly, I don't rmember winning a prize, but I think the memories of the occasion are worth far more!
Next time - my creativity discovers a new talent when I go to Grammar school and take up a Dessmaking 'O' Level. (GCSE equivalent today I supose) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment